Sunday, July 17, 2011

(Tablet + Elm327) / Bluetooth = cool

Lame title but interesting project. The idea is simple, take the data from your car and display it on something.  The data from your car is in the form of ODB-II protocols.  I started the project by messing around using a product called the Elmscan 5 from www.scantool.net/elmscan-5-usb.html.  With some pretty good success getting the RPM's using the Elmscan5, a laptop, and C#, I wanted to take it just a step further.  No cords, a better screen, and a touch screen would be helpful additions.

Got myself an ODBII reader with Bluetooth from amazon...  I'm not confident in the reader I bought but it has worked at times.  A picture of it is included here.  I'm only buying from scantool as their products are reliable.  At any rate, the ODBII reader with Bluetooth with get the serial data broadcast to us without wires.
 
For the other half, a tablet.  I've been waiting to buy an Android tablet and finally settled on the Toshiba thrive.  The program used to test the ODBII reader was a neat program called "Torque" by Ian Hawkins at torque-bhb.com.  I got the paid version, it is worth the money.  I think the developer did a great job.  I got the engine codes, RPM's, and a variety of other data from the car.

As I do more, there will be more.  Plans are to write for the Elm327 through Bluetooth, on my off time.

No comments:

Post a Comment